First off let me start by saying that I am a Native Houstonian something that I am extremely proud of. You would think that this article would be one sided in favor of Houston just based on that statement, but due to my unique experiences in both cities I have the ability to provide the pros and cons of both. I lived in Houston until I graduated high school in 1999. At the age of 17 I moved to Dallas to attend Dallas Baptist University. I then stayed in Dallas for almost 10 years before moving back to Houston for a job opportunity. I am currently in a hotel in Dallas right now as I write this post. Although I live in Houston currently I am in the Dallas area often for both business and personal reasons.
Here are some facts about both cities:
- Houston is larger than Dallas- Houston is the 4th largest city in the United States and Dallas in the 9th largest city in the United States. There are simply more people in Houston than there are in Dallas.
- Dallas has the Dallas Cowboys- As a Texans fan its hard to admit, but the Dallas Cowboys are “America’s Team”. There are a large number of fans of the Dallas Cowboys all over the world and also in Houston. There are even bars in Houston that are dedicated to the Dallas Cowboys.
- More concerts and events come to Dallas- Any Houstonian will tell you that this is by far the most perplexing thing ever! I cannot tell you how many times there was an act that I wanted to see that came to Dallas and did not come to Houston. I am not sure what the reason is, but many artists perform and visit Dallas and do not come to the Houston area.
- Houston is more diverse- Houston is not only the 4th largest city in the United States it is also the most diverse. Every single ethnicity and nationality is represented in Houston. Houston has areas of town that are dedicated to specific ethnic groups. With this brings many unique restaurants, festivals, and experiences.
- Houston people eat out more- More people eat out in Houston than they do in Dallas. Houstonians eat out 3 days per week on average, and people from Dallas eat out once per week on average.
It is often said that people from Houston don’t like people from Houston and vice versa. This is not particularly true. I think that people from Houston and Dallas both just have a lot of pride in their cities, and like to boast and brag about how great they are! At the end of the day it is all love between Houston and Dallas until you start to talk about sports…..